“It’s quite easy and cheap to extend an Iranian visa!”
Generally, you can extend your visa by its original duration at least twice without trouble. On-arrival visas (VOA) are issued for two weeks and you can extend them for two more weeks. Tourist visas are usually issued for one month (or issued according to what you asked/the time between your flights) and they are extendable up to three months.
The ease of obtaining an extension and the extra number of days you can obtain varies from city to city. Tabriz is normally the hardest place to try to extend your visa and people have been refused here. Usually the only difficultly in extending your visa is obtaining the extra time you want. Again this can vary between immigration offices.
The second time you apply for a visa extension, you might have to attend an informal interview at the office which is nothing serious.
Basically, the extensions are issued from the day you turn up at the visa renewal office, not the end date of your visa. However, in cities like Shiraz you can get the extension based on the end date of your original visa (Guess what? it’s also the easiest office for a visa extension!) If you need a full extension and planning to do it in other cities, try showing up on the last few days.
The cost of a visa renewal is 300,000 Rials plus 10,000 Rials for the forms and a folder. In addition you will need two passport photos (ladies must be wearing the hijab in their photos) and a photocopy of the bank deposit receipt, your Iranian visa, any previous extensions and the photo page of your passport.
Applying For a Visa Extension
The best and easiest place to get your extension is the main tourist center of Shiraz which issues extensions on the same day you apply for it. Out of all the cities you can apply for an extension (Shiraz, Yazd, Esfahan, Tabriz, Mashhad and Tehran), Shiraz is slightly easier as the office is closer to the town centre, the Bank Melli where you need to make a payment is nearby, it’s a less chaotic office and officers are quite easy going. The office opens early and closes early as well.
Visa extensions are available at the Police Offices of Foreign Aliens in major Iranian cities.
Here is a list of these cities:
1. Police Office of Foreign Aliens in Tehran: We’ve got two immigration offices in Tehran. One of them is located in Dr. Fatemi Junction, towards Vali-e Asr Avenue and the other one is located near Sepah sq. Applying for an extension in Tehran is notoriously difficult, since it’s not easy to get an extension over there and even if your request is approved, you will only get a partial extension rather than a full month.
2. Police Office of Foreign Aliens in Mashhad: The immigration office of Mashhad is located next to Azad University, Rahnamaee St. You can also apply for an Afghan visa in Mashhad which is easier than applying for it in the capital.
3. Police Office of Foreign Aliens in Shiraz: You can find the immigration office in Moddarres Blvd, near Vali-e Asr Sq. If you are in Shiraz and you need an extension to take a full visit around the country, this office your best option. Don’t miss the chance of extending your visa in Shiraz, since it’s the easiest and almost every single request is approved!
4. Police Office of Foreign Aliens in Esfahan (Isfahan): Esfahan is a popular destination for tourists due to the attractions and almost hassle-free extension procedure. However, applying for a visa extension in Esfahan is not as easy as it is in Shiraz. The immigration office in Esfahan is located near Azadi Sq, Roudaki St.
5. Police Office of Foreign Aliens in Yazd: Yazd is worth a try too although it may not be a same-day process. The immigration office is located near Abouzar Sq, Kashani St.
6. Police Office of Foreign Aliens in Tabriz: It actually is not the best place to get your visa renewed, since many travelers have been rejected when they wanted to apply for a visa extension.
If you don’t have a visa you can apply for Iran visa through this link. Our travel agents can help you to get your visa with ease in less time.
Apply for Iranian visa and enjoy visiting Iran.